2/27/2012

Why I Play World of Warcraft



I admit it. I’m a thirty-something single mom and I play a massively multi-player online (MMO) game set in a fantasy world featuring every cliché of the genre and populated mainly by adolescent boys. Why?

First, it’s fantastic for stress relief. Nothing feels better than beating the snot out of someone after a long day at the office, especially if they are trying to beat the snot out of you. Rough day? Need to kill something? Instead of launching an unwise offensive on your boss or innocent liver, simply boot up, log in, and slaughter the armies of your enemy.

Second, World of Warcraft offers a beautiful environment that has to be seen to be believed. The developers have created a visual world that is breathtaking.  It’s like going on an exotic vacation without dealing with baggage limits or customs queues. And if the natives annoy you, you can kill them. Which isn't usually a good idea in real life.



Third, it’s low maintenance. Despite the fact that it is a multi-player game, there is no requirement to be social. I don’t have to relate to other people, I can just kill them.  On the very rare occasions when I choose to talk with other players, it often goes like this:

[Genghis]: ty dude
[Me]: not a dude.
[Genghis]: never met a girl who played wow b4
[Me]: how do u know?
[Genghis]: so how old ru?
[Me]: 53
[Genghis]: srsly?
[Me]: ya. and fucking obese.
[Genghis]:  i never met a girl who cussed like u either

But while people often hit me, they rarely hit on me.
               
This brings me to my fourth, and most important, point: I play World of Warcraft because it offers a break from the frustrations of being a female. There are times when I am tired of it. I see myself as a person, and I’m tired of being judged by this physical body and tired of being weaker. I’m tired of my mind being casually dismissed or ignored because of the shape of my body. I’m tired of being afraid. 

Playing World of Warcraft allows me to create an alter-ego. Female characters in the game have all the strength, agility, intelligence, speed, and stamina as their male counterparts; gender is rendered neutral. My ability to play the game, to succeed, relies only on my wits and hand dexterity. It's an even playing field.

World of Warcraft, and other MMOs, offer more than just entertainment for women by providing an entertaining environment where we are people, automatically. For me, that’s more than just a game, that’s paradise.



2 comments:

  1. Hello! Would you minԁ if I share youг blog with my zynga grοuр?
    There's a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thank you
    Look into my web-site ; Zygor WoW Guide Download

    ReplyDelete